The Service Manager forums can be helpful if you have a problem or are seeking more information about a topic within Configuration Manager.
A basic overview is here.
Microsoft’s main blog on the product are the System Center Service Manager Team Blog, it has a range of articles about new features, hotfixes, tips and tricks, etc and are well worth checking regularly.
There is hardly anything out there for Service Manager.
The most comprehensive book currently available is System Center 2012 Service Manager Unleashed by Kerrie Meyler, Kurt Van Hoecke, Samuel Erskine, Steve Buchanan. This also applies to R2.
The next best is Microsoft System Center 2016 Service Manager Cookbook – Second Edition which is a rewrite of their original 2012 edition.
Apart from that, don’t bother!
Here is a selection of the best blogs that I would recommend:
How to acknowledge First Response Time for Service Requests in Microsoft System Center 2012 Service Manager: http://www.systemcentercentral.com/acknowledge-first-response-time-service-requests-scsm2012/
Adding a custom field to Incident Forms: https://marcelzehner.ch/2011/01/04/adding-a-custom-field-to-incident-forms/
Service Level Objectives
SLA in SCSM 2012. Part 1. Object model: http://blog.scsmsolutions.com/2013/01/sla-in-scsm2012-part1-object-model/
SLA in SCSM 2012. Part 2. How it’s works: http://blog.scsmsolutions.com/2013/01/sla-in-scsm2012-part2-how-it-works/
Service Manager 2012 and Service Level Management – Part 1: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/privatecloud/2013/03/26/service-manager-2012-and-service-level-management-part-1/
Service Manager 2012 and Service Level Management – Part 2: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/privatecloud/2013/04/17/service-manager-2012-and-service-level-management-part-2/
Service Manager 2012 and Service Level Management – Part 3: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/privatecloud/2013/04/25/service-manager-2012-and-service-level-management-part-3/
Data Cubes in Service Manager 2012 – Part 1/3 (Overview and basic handling of Data Cubes): https://marcelzehner.ch/2012/01/02/data-cubes-in-service-manager-2012-part-13-overview-and-basic-handling-of-data-cubes/
Data Cubes in Service Manager 2012 – Part 2/3 (Publishing Reports): https://marcelzehner.ch/2012/02/06/data-cubes-in-service-manager-2012-part-23-publishing-reports/
Data Cubes in Service Manager 2012 – Part 3/3 (Creating your own Data Cubes): https://marcelzehner.ch/2012/08/12/data-cubes-in-service-manager-2012-part-33-creating-your-own-data-cubes/
System Center Service Manager Data Warehouse and Reporting: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15608.system-center-service-manager-data-warehouse-and-reporting.aspx
Service Manager 2012: System Center Data Warehouse, Reporting, and Dashboards: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/MMS/2012/SD-B312
How to create an Incident Dashboard using Excel in System Center 2012 SP1 – Service Manager (SCSM) 2012: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/antoni/2013/05/17/how-to-create-an-incident-dashboard-using-excel-in-system-center-2012-sp1-service-manager-scsm-2012/
Advanced Real World System Center Data Warehouse and Reporting: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/MMS/2013/SD-B316
Data Cubes in Service Manager: https://marcelzehner.ch/2012/02/06/data-cubes-in-service-manager-2012-part-23-publishing-reports/
Free Addons / Utilities for Service Manager
There are a lot of third-party apps out there for Service Manager and many provide free apps or cut down versions of the commercial version. This list is not authoritative, but is what I have been able to find so far:
- Xapity User History: displays the Incident and Service Request History for the Affected User.
- Xapity Current Activity displays the current In Progress Activity on Change, Release and Service Request workflows quickly and easily from a simple Console Task.
- Free SCSM 2012 Dashboard: performance with numerous charts, metrics and analytics
- SCUtils Apply Template Free: reapply a template to an existing work item as well as to a new one
- SCUtils AssignToMe Manual Activity Free: assign manual activities to yourself and supports a multi-select feature
- SCUtils DWMPCreator Free: automate creating XML files and seal them to be able to access DW information
- SCUtils FileAttachment Free: allows downloading a file attachment using a direct link (URL) from the SharePoint-based Service Manager self-service portal
- SCUtils Monitoring for APC UPS: a solution that helps managing APC Smart-UPSTM series
Provided as a free Essentials Pack
- Analytics and Dashboards. A community edition introducing the analytic and dashboard application included with The Suite.
- Auto-Close. Allows you to automatically discover and close various work items in Microsoft System Center Service Manager.
- Billable Time. Record the amount of time your analysts have worked on Service Requests, Change Requests, Release Records and Manual Activities.
- Clone User Roles. With just a single task clone an existing Service Manager user role and copy all settings to a new user role.
- Entity Explorer. Browse and get information about the classes, relationships and objects stored in the Service Manager database.
- PowerForm. Lets you start creating a work item and documenting details of a call before you know if it’s an Incident or a Service Request.
- ScsmPx. An open source PowerShell module that includes over 100 complementary commands to allow you to do much more with your PowerShell automation efforts.
- Send Mail. Lets analysts send information or ask questions by e-mail about requests they are working on directly from the Service Manager console.
- SOS Outlook Plugin. Create incidents and service requests and check their status directly from Microsoft Outlook.
- Advanced View Editor for SCSM Free: define advanced criteria, have custom column names, define icons for views and folders
- Advanced Console Search for SCSM: save search queries they created in the SCSM console
- Billable Time for SCSM: allows analysts to record the time they spend working with tickets directly to the appropriate work items
- Clone User Role for SCSM Free: clone any user role that you have created in Service Manager.
- Email Template Tester for SCSM: verify the functionality of notification templates created in Service Manager
- Entity Explorer for SCSM: browse the Service Manager class model and get information about classes, relationships, enumerations and objects in the CMDB
- MPB Maker for SCSM: helps creating management pack bundles (.mpb files)
- Send Mail for SCSM Free: send emails such as questions or informational messages about requests they are working on.
- Update Transfer for SCCM: export and import “Software Update Groups
- Expit S.O.S. Community Edition: platform for the end users to interact with Microsoft System Center Service Manager through the Outlook console
- Expit EnSight Community Edition: Analysis and monitoring platform for events in Service Manager, tailored for IT managers and NOC facilities.
- Action Log Notify: notifying the assigned to analyst and affected user when comments are added
- Advanced Send Email: allows an analyst to send an email to the Affected User or other recipients
- Auto Close: automatically close work items on a specified day and time
- Configuration Manager Ticker: Configuration Manager admins to easily create, and deliver, announcements from the Configuration Manager Console
- Notify Analyst Free: configure all work items to automatically send e-mail notifications to an Analyst
- Remote Mange: toolbox of common remote functionalities needed by an analyst
- Service Desk Ticker: create an announcement within Service Manager and send them directly to an employee’s computer in real time
- Time Tracker: enables an analyst to record the amount of time spent working on other types of work items
- Self-Service Portal: for end users is a complete replacement of the Microsoft Self-Service Portal for Service Manager.
Free Addons / Utilities for Service Manager
This is a list of commercial 3rd party Service Manager apps (available at the time of writing). The list may not be complete and items may change over time.
It is however, a pretty amazing list of add-ons for SCSM and can dramatically change the capabilities and function of Microsoft System Center Service Manager.
- Xapity Clone: Copy any work item, including extended fields and complex activity workflows
- Xapity Mail: Rich email editor for SCSM that sends email directly from the console. Supports SCSM templates, attachments and shared mailboxes (with Teams)
- Xapity Teams: Support Group to AD group relationship, assign Work Items to Analysts and send Notifications to Support Groups on a range of events.
- Xapity Transfer: send Incidents, including key details, the Affect User, Attachments and Comments to remote SCSM instances.
- Xapity PowerShell Activity: enables PowerShell scripts to be run directly in any Microsoft System Center Service Manager (SCSM) workflow
- Xapity Notification Activity enables Email Notifications to be sent directly from any Microsoft System Center Service Manager (SCSM) workflow.
- SMAX for Microsoft System Center Service Manager: provides you with the means to send meeting requests directly from the SCSM Console to MS Exchange
- SMCC – Service Manager Change Calendar: roviding a global view of all your change requests in a friendly and familiar graphical interface
- SMTI Service Manager Computer Telephony Integration: creates the link between your SCSM, the soft phone system and call center operators computer
- SMTRAK Enterprise Dashboard for SCSM2012: present various key metrics and business analytics to support executives for monitoring service desk operations
- SCUtils Knowledge Base: web part for the SharePoint portal that allows to search, rate, comment, and view the article in HTML format
- SCUtils Survey Lite: helps organizations gather the end user’s feedback
- SCUtils SLAInstanceDuration: Using the business duration you can get minimum, maximum, and average values and then analyze them in a variety of ways
- SCUtils KnowledgeTask: console task that allows IT analyst in one-click resolve an incident and in the same time create a knowledge article linked to that incident
- SCUtils ConvertTask: change Incidents to Service Requests and vice versa
- SCUtils CubeDesigner: simplifies the process of designing custom OLAP cubes with all Service Manager objects you will need
- SCUtils Email Connector: advanced IMAP/POP3 connector for Microsoft System Center 2012 Service Manager
- SCUtils WorkItem Scheduler: automates the process of creating work items using different schedules
- SCUtils SmartAssign: accurate assigning of IT analysts in Microsoft System Center 2012 Service Manager
- SCUtils Knowledge Awareness: inks to knowledge articles that might help end users resolve their issues without any input from Service Desk staff
- Provance IT Asset Management: functionality to manage the financial, contractual and organizational information necessary to support Asset Management
- Provance Bar Code: allows field personnel to verify or update asset information on the fly, such as location, life cycle status and assigned user.
- Provance Data Management: simplifies and speeds the process for getting data into and out of SCSM
- Software Intelligence: software license optimization by standardizing your software assets and increasing the reliability of the software installation detection process
- Self Service Portal. A fast, lightweight, highly customizable self-service web portal that allows any user to submit and manage IT requests from any device.
- Analyst Web Console. Perform common tasks you can ordinarily only accomplish with the console application using just a web browser.
- IT Asset Management. Take control of IT costs, increase efficiency and reduce risk with management of hardware and software assets across the entire life cycle
- Analytics and Dashboards. Increase operational effectiveness with insight and visibility into important trends and critical performance measures.
- Data Management. Greatly speed and simplify the process of getting data into and out of SCSM while simultaneously improving the consistency and accuracy of data.
- PowerPack. PowerForm, PowerAssign and PowerView
- Advanced View Editor: capability to define advanced criteria, have custom column names, define icons for views and folders
- Billable Time: allows analysts to record the time they spend working with tickets directly to the appropriate work items
- Checklist Activity: add multiple working steps as a simple checklist into a single activity
- CMDB Visualizer: visualize any object that lives in the CMDB including its relations to other objects
- Desktop Alerts: notification is shown as a balloon tip from the taskbar
- Power Print: configure printouts and PDF exports for configuration items
- PowerShell Activity: runs custom PowerShell scripts
- PowerShell Tasks: trigger PowerShell scripts that are stored within the CMDB.
- PowerShell Workflows: create new workflows that trigger PowerShell scripts that are stored in the CMDB
- Preview Forms: updated preview pane makes the most important properties of a work item accessible
- Send Mail: allows you to send emails with screenshots and attachments quickly and easily from within the console
- SMA Connector: automate specific activities from a work item by using a SMA runbook
- ITSM Portal for SCSM: alternative for the out-of-box SCSM Self-Service Portal
- WebFront for Service Manager:Experience Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager console in a web browser.
- MobileFront for Service Manager:Experience off-premise access to Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager from your favorite device anywhere.
- CTI for Service Manager: Computer Telephony Integration with Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager.
- PowerPack for Service Manager: PowerAssign, PowerForm and PowerView add-ons to Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Service Manager.
- SMA for Service Manager: SMA for Service Manager allows you to import SMA Runbooks and use them in your workflows.
- Expit S.O.S.: platform for the end users to interact with Microsoft System Center Service Manager through the Outlook console
- Expit EnSight: Analysis and monitoring platform for events in Service Manager, tailored for IT managers and NOC facilities.
- Expit Risk Profiler: gives complete control to the administrator on calculating the risk score by assigning weights to the type of questions
- Expit Pro-Ops: add in for Microsoft Project that allows project managers to create change requests in Service Manager as part of the project
- Asset Barcode: Scan barcodes using either the smartphone camera or a connected Bluetooth device
- Asset Excel: bulk import of assets, as well as modification of administration items and warranties/contracts
- Asset Import: Imported from external CSV or SQL sources with the ability to map columns and schedule imports when required
- Asset Management: Track all your IT asset details from the asset status, location, department, cost center, owner, warranty, maintenance, and software licensing
Project Server Connector: integrate Service Manager with Microsoft Project 2013
- Self-Service Portal: Portal for end users is a complete replacement of the Microsoft Self-Service Portal for Service Manager
- Analyst Portal: Portal for analysts integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Service Manager
- Knowledge Base: replaces the out-of-the-box Rich Text Format (RTF) knowledge base in Service Manager with a HTML offering
- Outlook Console: allowing for seamless management of day-to-day activities
- Dashboards: Incident management, change management, and service request fulfillment dashboards
- My Calendars: provides views into work items in a graphical format
- Skype for Business Integration: adds a context menu to a conversation window
- SMA Connector: connector between Service Manager and Service Management Automation
- Survey app: in conjunction with the Cireson Analyst Portal, providing the ability to conduct surveys
- Password Reset for AD: estimated that 30% of service desk calls are password resets
- My Active Work Items: visibility to all of your assigned daily work items such as incidents, problems, service requests, releases, changes, and activities
- Group Assign: analysts to be associated with support groups within the incident management and service request fulfillment area for group assignments
- View Builder: allows for creating views
- Change Calendar: displays all scheduled Change Requests within a single view
- Affected User: analysts no longer have to bounce between incidents and service requests while interacting with customers
- Notify Analyst Pro: configure all work items to automatically send e-mail notifications to an Analyst
- Preview Pane: preview panes for all work items and delivers immediate access to attachments and respective activities
- Risk Calculator: change management with a calculator that asks the change initiator business questions, and calculates risk
- Tier Watcher: provides Outlook style pop-up notifications via the system tray
- Release Calendar: displays all scheduled release records within a single view
- SCSM Ad Sync: creates a relationship between AD and the CMDB. When data is manually updated in SCSM, it automatically syncs and updates the data in AD
- SCSM Advanced Reporting: Dashboards, including Gauge Reports, & Line Graph Reports
- SCSM Advanced Views: No information, contacted Cased Dimensions
- SCSM Asset Management & Inventory Management: overs all aspects of software asset management & hardware asset management
- SCSM Assigned to Me: allows analysts to view all work item activities ‘Assigned to Me’ in one folder
- SCSM Auto Closure: Closes work Items after a period of time
- SCSM Bar Code Scanner: joins procurement and contract information automatically to CI information as populated within System Center Service Manager
- SCSM Decision Activity: It allows Service Manager to make decisions without having to loop traffic to Orchestrator
- SCSM Enterprise Change: extended the SCSM Business Service with change assignee and change manager data fields
- SCSM Enterprise Email: can send emails relating to any work item
- SCSM Force List Selection: hoosing an incorrect support tier is prevented and flagged up with an exclamation mark icon
- SCSM List To Assignee: associate ‘team members’ to ‘team groups’. The ‘Team Group’ can then be associated to a list value (IE: Network Team)
- SCSM Mandatory Fields: created controls which can be applied to forms which make the field mandatory
- SCSM Related Items: makes the Related Items tab green when there is an attachment
- SCSM Request User Input: Request User Input checkbox that writes to the action log and emails the affected user an email template
- SCSM Self-Service Portal: ensure employees can experience a more enhanced, mature, easy to use web forms
- SCSM Stop The Clock: analysts can set the number of hours and number of minutes that the clock is to be stopped for
- SCSM Workflow Optimizer: apply templates is that instead of writing hundreds of workflows for hundreds of templates, you can have on workflow take care of all of your templates