With the advent of iPhones, Windows Mobile etc we can block calls easily with the tap of an option, however, in Skype for Business (or Lync) users are usually unaware they can do it. Well to be honest they can and can’t. Out the box users can report a malicious call but it takes a SfB admin to process this information from the CDR, therefore we need an easier way. Thankfully Mark Vale has created such a tool called Simple Call Blocker. Below I outline how to deploy it:
- Ensure you have Monitoring Deployed!!
- Download the ZIP file from here https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Skype-for-Business-Auto-745b2159
- Extract the ZIP file to a location of your choice. In this guide I have extracted it to C:\Tools\SimpleCallBlocker
- Run the command: Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted –Force
- Navigate to the folder the files are extracted to and run .\Install-SimpleCallBlocker.ps1
- Enter your details as per the screenshots below.
Once you have entered your details click http://alternovo.com/strategie/ Install Now
- If you entered all your details correct and it installed correctly you should see:
- Now navigate to your file share and you should see a new folder called SimpleCallBlocker with 2 files inside it.
- If users have blocked numbers before (they probably don’t know how to) and they have been populated in the Call Detail Report Database then they will show inside the BlockedTelephoneNumber.txt file:
- Now open the Task Scheduler and ensure a Scheduled Task has been created:
This calls a PowerShell script located in C:\SimpleCallBlocker located on the machine with the scheduled task installed. This script is responsible for collecting the information from the database and updating the BlockedTelephoneNumbers.txt file.
- Now open PowerShell to check the application has been deployed to the Front End Servers in the Pool by typing: Get-CSServerApplication
- Now go and test blocking a caller. Watch this video that Mark created: